Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Healing from Heart Surgery



A friend of mine recently endured open heart surgery.  It was painful just to watch her move.  She would close her eyes and try to breathe through the pain as she did simple things like stand up, clear her throat, or turn her neck. She wasn't sleeping well.  The pain was keeping her up at night.  She was needing medication in the night.  I am sure all of us understand how hard it is to deal with any struggle, let alone severe pain, when exhausted. 

I knew there was nothing I could say to help.  But I knew there was something I could do.  I offered reflexology.  I worked on her for 45 minutes attempting to improve circulation and increase oxygen levels to speed healing, increase endorphins, and reduce inflammation.  I prayed she would find some relief. 

That night she was able to sleep through the night for the first time since her surgery two weeks ago.  Let me say that again.  She was able to sleep through the night without waking up in need of medication!  Yes, I am sure many factors came into play to make that happen, but I like to think that reflexology helped as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment